News + Resources

eTech Students Get Exposed in the City

L. Brian Jenkins, MA - Thursday, December 01, 2011

Posted by Grace Yi

Students from the StartingUp Now eTech IT Training Program got exposed to their first business pitch event at the November Technori Pitch gathering last night.

Through the generous support of Seth Kravitz and team at Technori (thanks, everyone!), almost 50 high school students and their eTech instructors from our 2 program locations, YMEN and Tha House, sat inside the Chase Auditorium with 500 other entrepreneurs, developers and tech enthusiasts listening to 6 startups pitch their product and services.

The event, though normally a buzz with plenty of enthusiasm from the crowd, was all the more exciting as I overheard students sitting next to me whisper thoughtful and humorous comments about the companies’ pitches. Each of them had their favorites, running the gamut for why they liked the pitch—ranging from the usability of the product to the way team members presented their information and fielded questions by the audience. It was clear their interest was piqued as the evening progressed, culminating into conversations post-event about the types of businesses many of them envisioned to launch themselves.

We're hoping that this event, along with many other field trips we've got lined up, will help cultivate real opportunities for students to access inspiring ideas, information, and networks to help develop their budding entrepreneurial futures.

It’s never too early to start dreaming and planning, and we couldn’t think of a better way for getting them plugged in to a dynamic, growing and creative industry than technology. Let the developing begin…

StartingUp Now eTech students & trainers with Technori Co-founders, Seth Kravitz and Val Chulamorkodt

photo credit: Brad Wilkening

& Yolanda Richards-Albert

Comments
Wendy Daniels commented on 02-Dec-2011 11:18 AM
It's extremely encouraging to see high school students being exposed to avenues other than the traditional doctor, lawyer, teacher, engineer, etc. If you read the statistics about recent college grads, a college degree is no longer an indicator that a
job will be forthcoming. Although certain fields require college degrees, there are many viable choices available to the next generation which may or may not require a 4-yr degree. Our youth should be aware of the potential for starting their own businesses,
which can occur even while in high school or college. Although I feel that college is important for a number of reasons - especially for those who have had very little exposure to the world outside of there own small community for their entire lives; I'm beginning
to feel that it needs to be just one notch in a list of many on the education/experience wheel for the next generation. Good work!
Sandaletten Delores-McDade commented on 03-Sep-2012 11:42 AM
I'm not sure exactly why but this site is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.
Ernest Woody commented on 19-Oct-2012 02:39 AM
My community hobby shop offers tournaments on Saturday and Saturday regarding Yugioh.

Tuesday it just claims Yugioh Advanced Tournament, while Friday says Yugioh Battle
League, and also Yugioh Duelist Little league (14 in addition to under).
It is possible to change between any Yugioh Battle Category
tournament and an Advanced Event? I have been out of the
video game for years so please forgive us. Thank you!
Anonymous commented on 19-Oct-2012 06:50 AM
Well, I do not identify if which is going to work for me, on
the other hand definitely proved helpful for
you! First-rate post!
Anonymous commented on 23-Oct-2012 01:01 AM
I’m impressed, I must say. Truly rarely do I
encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you might have hit the nail within that the head.
Your notion is outstanding; ab muscles something
that insufficient persons are speaking intelligently about.

We’re very happy that I found this in my seek out something with this.
Glenn Fritz commented on 10-Nov-2012 04:40 PM
Youth is the best time to be rich, and the best time to be poor.
Anonymous commented on 10-Nov-2012 04:40 PM
Don't brood. Get on with living and loving. You don't have forever.
Quentin Terrill commented on 10-Nov-2012 04:41 PM
Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let
go.
Helena Williford commented on 10-Nov-2012 04:51 PM
I like a woman with a head on her shoulders.
I hate necks.
Britney Pettit commented on 10-Nov-2012 04:51 PM
Love is the power to see similarity in the dissimilar.
Anonymous commented on 10-Nov-2012 08:42 PM
It's useless to hold a person to anything he says while he's in love, drunk, or running for office.
Anonymous commented on 10-Nov-2012 10:23 PM
Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love - and to
put its trust in life.
Anonymous commented on 10-Nov-2012 10:37 PM
I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and
I have succeeded fairly well.
Anonymous commented on 11-Nov-2012 01:25 AM
Belief in oneself is one of the most important bricks in
building any successful venture.
Myles Mackenzie commented on 11-Nov-2012 01:44 AM
There are three constants in life... change, choice and
principles.
Camille Hagen commented on 11-Nov-2012 02:33 AM
All my children inherited perfect pitch.
Gabriele Sturgis commented on 12-Nov-2012 08:35 PM
My best friend is the man who in wishing me well wishes it for my sake.
Shayla Lancaster commented on 13-Nov-2012 05:04 AM
Lovers have a right to betray you... friends don't.
Marlon Trejo commented on 17-Nov-2012 09:29 PM
If people commenting like to receive links then they might want to
at least show the integrity to try and post a related and readable
reply. All comment spam will do is maybe hurt your backlinking efforts and generates worthless
links. The best way to be a success is to befriend
other bloggers who have blogs of similar subject matter and generate
genuine targeted traffic by leaving a well thought reply.
Hopefully some of those people might take note before posting after
me, Heres hoping.
Anonymous commented on 17-Nov-2012 10:00 PM
In old age we are like a batch of letters that someone has sent.

We are no longer in the past, we have arrived.
Dee McDougal commented on 17-Nov-2012 10:08 PM
In youth the days are short and the years are long. In old age the years are short
and day's long.
Sterling Rush commented on 17-Nov-2012 10:31 PM
It is nice to find some decent content for
once, I was getting tired of the constant drivel
I come across lately, you deserve respect for putting out readable and informative information.
Alton Hurtado commented on 18-Nov-2012 12:36 AM
It is virtually impossible to find blogs that offer such
consistently readable and interesting content as is
on offer on this one, you are due the tiny amount of time it takes
to express my admiration at your endeavours. Bless you.
Anonymous commented on 21-Nov-2012 10:35 AM
People always ask me, 'Were you funny as a child?' Well, no, I was an accountant.
Anonymous commented on 21-Nov-2012 10:57 AM
Hello, i believe that i noticed you visited my blog so
i came to go back the choose?.I am attempting to to find things to
improve my website!I guess its good enough to make use of some of your concepts!
!